Opening hours and admission fees
- Opening Hours
Summer season: 1 April - 31 October
Daily 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Attention! Opening hours Observatory Visitor Centre: only on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday 11.30 a.m. - 3.30 p.m.
Winter season: 1 November - 31 March
Closed on Monday
Tuesday to Sunday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Opening hours Observatory Visitor Centre: only on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday 11.30 a.m. - 3.30 p.m.
3 October (‘Relief of Leiden’ Festival)
25 December 2015 up to 1 January 2016 (holidays)
- Admission Fees
General Entrance € 7 Children age 4-12, CJP € 3 MuseumPass free Hortus Friend’s pass free Students University Leiden upon presentation of student card free Students WO/HBO upon presentation of student card € 2 Employees University Leiden upon presentation of legitimation badge LU € 2 Guided tours entrance per person + guide fees per guide for group of max. 20 persons € 60 per guide outside regular opening hours € 100
The paths of the Hortus botanicus are wheelchair-friendly with the exception of those in the Victoria Greenhouse and the canopy walk in the top of the Winter Garden.
3 wheelchairs and 2 wheeled walkers are also available for use at the entrance, free of charge. Please call in advance to make a reservation for this wheelchair: +31( 0)71-5277249.
Inside the visitors centre, ‘De Wintertuin’, a wheelchair-accessible bathroom is present, as well as a small lift to reach the first floor.
Infront of the Academy building at the Rapenburg 73 there is a parking for disabled people (with parking permission), provided that you are in possession of an official disabled card. Unfortunately it’s not possible to reserve this parking place.
- House rules
The Hortus botanicus has several rules which we ask our visitors to abide by.
- Entry to the garden and its greenhouses is only allowed to visitors that can show a valid entry ticket.
- Plants and seeds are property of the Hortus botanicus Leiden, taking these without permission is considered theft, and we will call the police.
- Do not pick and eat seeds or berries, plants or parts of plants as these can be poisonous.
- Making (professional) wedding photographs is allowed as long as the other houserules are abided by.
- Other forms of professional photography and video require prior permission from a member of the Hortus botanicus management.
- Children under 13 are welcome under the supervision of an adult.
- Dogs are not allowed in the garden, with the exception of blind- or handicap guide dogs.
- Cycling in the garden is prohibited. There are bike racks available at the entrance.
- Upon entry of the Hortus botanicus Leiden you agree that the Hortus is in no way responsible for any damages done to you or your properties during your stay in the gardens. Entry is at your own risk.