Bean burgers with lime leaf and salsa
Serves 4 as a vegetarian main course
- 8 fresh lime leaves (frozen, oriental grocers)
- 2 x 400ml tins kidney beans
- 2cm fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced (with seeds for extra hotness)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 egg
- 50g flour
- 2 shallots, peeled, halved, cut into paper thin slivers
- 2 handfuls fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
- 30g peanuts, roughly chopped
- 200ml sweet chilli sauce
Fold the lime leaves along the vein and remove the veins using a knife or scissors. Discard them. Cut the leaves in very fine slivers. Rinse the beans in a colander or sieve and drain thoroughly. Put them in a food processor together with the ginger, fish sauce, red chilli, garlic, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, the egg and the flour. Process to a thick puree. Mix in the slivers of lime leaf and chill for at least 1 hour.
Prepare the salsa: mix the shallot with the rest of the lime juice, the green herbs, peanuts and chilli sauce.
Heat the oil in a frying pan. Divide the bean mixture into 8 small burgers and brown them over medium heat, about 4 minutes per side. Serve alongside the salsa, in a bun, if desired.