Stir fried prawns with vanilla, French beans and chillies
Serves 4 as a main course
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced (with seeds for extra hotness)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 400g raw, peeled large prawns, defrosted
- 300g extra fine green beans (or yard-long beans)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- garnish: small handful fresh coriander or parsley
Split the vanilla pod down the middle and scrape out the seeds. Mix with the sugar, red chilli, garlic and fish sauce and stir into the prawns. Set aside in a cool place for at least 15 minutes.
Trim the beans and cut into 4cm pieces. Put them in a wok with the oil, 5 tablespoons of water and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once.
Remove the lid and turn up the heat. When all water has evaporated add the marinated prawns. Stir fry until they’ve lost their grey colour. Garnish with coriander or parsley and serve at once.